越生町勢要覧

越生の歴史は、今から1万年以上前の旧石器時代にさかのぼります。恵まれた自然条件は、原始・古代人にとって最適な居住環境だったのでしょう。町内各所に縄文時代や弥生時代の遺跡が点在しています。10数体を数える平安仏、中世に創建された数多くの寺社堂庵(じしゃどうあん)、400基を超える板碑(いたび)の存在が物語るように、越生は関東の南北を結ぶ交通の要衝として、また、秩父地方との交易の中継地として古くから開けてきました。

中世から近世にかけては、現在の越生町域を中心とする広い範囲が「越生郷(おごせごう)」と呼ばれ、政治経済上・戦略上、重要な位置を占めていました。

鎌倉時代には、武蔵七党児玉党一派(むさししちとうこだまとういっぱ)の武士団(ぶしだん)越生氏(おごせし)が勃興し、その活躍ぶりは『吾妻鏡(あづまかがみ)』や『太平記』などにも描かれています。室町時代の名将、太田道灌もこの地とゆかりが深く、道灌と父道真が再建した龍穏寺、道灌誕生の地と伝えられる山枝庵(さんしあん)跡、山吹の里、隠退後の道真が居を構えた自得軒(じとくけん)跡など、多くの史跡が残されています。

江戸時代には、現市街地付近は今市と呼ばれ、毎月6回、2と7の日に市が立ち、物産・日用品の集散地として発展しました。

明治になると、黒山鉱泉が開湯し、梅林保勝会が結成されるなど、今日に連なる、首都近郊の代表的な観光地としても知られるようになりました。

明治22年(1889)の町村制施行で、越生町と梅園村が生まれ、昭和30年に両町村が合併して現在の越生町が成立しました。

首都圏にあって貴重な、市町のおもかげと、田園・山村風景をとどめるおごせは、人と自然が織りなした歴史文化遺産の宝庫です。

The history of Ogose can be traced back over ten thousand years to the Paleolithic age. The benevolent natural conditions provided the perfect place for primitive / ancient people to live their lives. Remains from the people of the Jomon and Yayoi periods can still be found throughout the town. As is attested by the dozen or more Heian Buddha statues, the many shrines and temples dating back to medieval times and more than four hundred Buddhist steles dotting the countryside, Ogose has long been a key route running north-south across the Kanto region and a center of trade for the Chichibu area. During the medieval and early modern periods a wide area centered upon the current Ogose Castle was known as Ogose County, maintaining a vital strategic location in terms of politics, economics and war. In the Kamakura period the Ogose warrior group of the Kodama sept, one of the seven great warrior houses of the area (called the Musashi Shichito), rose to power as described in the Azuma Kagami and Taiheiki texts. Ota Dokan, a warlord of the Muromachi Period, also has deep links with this area: the Ryuonji Temple rebuilt by him and his father, Dousin; the remains of the Sanshi-an where he is rumored to have been born; Yamabukinosato; the remains of the Jitokuken where Dousin lived after his retirement; and many more. In the Edo period the area surrounding the current urban area was called Imaichi and used as a market center for products and daily goods on days ending with a "two" or "seven" (six times a month). From the Meiji period, the Kuroyama mineral springs were opened and an organization formed to care for the plum blossom groves, creating the representative sightseeing places of the suburbs known nowadays. With the enactment of the towns and villages system in 1889, Ogose Town and Umesono Town were created. In 1955 both towns merged to form the modern Ogose Town. Ogose retains the precious aspects of former times with rural scenery preserved as it was amongst its urban nature, making it vital reservoir of historical and cultural heritage weaving together human and natural life.

江戸時代、「越生の今市(いまいち)」と呼ばれた越生は、「モノ、人」の 一大集散地でした。幕末の横浜開港以降は「絹の道」の拠点と して、明治、大正時代を経て、昭和戦前期まで繁栄しました。野口雨情作詞の 『越生小唄』にも「越生名物生絹に団扇 誰が着るやら使うやら」と詠われて いるほどです。市街地の商家の家並みが、往時の繁栄を今に伝えています。

市日の越生町

越生の宝物

絹本着色釈迦三尊及び阿難迦葉像

▲「絹本着色釈迦三尊(けんぽんちゃくしょくしゃかさんぞん) 及び阿難迦葉像(あなんかしょうぞう)」国指定重要文化財
鎌倉時代末期の代表的な仏画。高野・丹生明神像とともに国の重要文化財に指定されている。(法恩寺所蔵)

木造如意輪観音半跏像

▲「木造如意輪観音半跏像(にょいりんかんのんはんかぞう)」 県指定文化財
胎内に「応保二年」の銘文があり在銘像として関東最古。

石造役行者坐像

▲「石造役行者坐像(えんのぎょうじゃざぞう)」町指定文化財

熊野神社社殿

▲「熊野神社社殿」町指定文化財

八幡神社本殿

▲「八幡神社本殿」町指定文化財

草創は平安時代と伝えられ、永享2年(1430)、室町幕府第6代将軍足利義教(あしかがよしのり)が関東管領(かんとうかんれい)上杉持朝(うえすぎもちとも)に命じ、無極慧徹(むごくえてつ)を招いて復興したのを開基とする。文明4年(1473)、太田道真・道灌父子が兵火に罹り荒廃していた伽藍を再建し、以後曹洞宗の大寺院に発展した。江戸時代には(関東三箇寺)として、全国の曹洞宗寺院を統轄した。境内には道真、道灌の墓がある。

龍穏寺山門

▲「龍穏寺山門」県指定文化財

▲「龍穏寺経蔵」県指定文化財

▲太田道真・太田道灌の墓

埼玉県越生町役場 〒350-0494 埼玉県入間郡越生町大字越生900-2

TEL:049-292-3121(代表) FAX:049-292-5400

E-mail webmaster@town.ogose.saitama.jp

Copyright(C)2010 Ogose Town. All rights reserved.